Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yogurt Take Two

In an effort to understand nutrition, our food, our bodies and to re-create a healthy understanding of where our food comes from, and the effort and the routines it goes through to get to our table, I've tried things like making yogurt, breads, & butter.  I did not grow up understanding farm life, that someone out there grew my food or what processed or unprocessed foods are.
  I think we can agree... the less processed a food is, the better it is for you.  I love learning about food and nutrition. Mostly, I have been successful in this quest... mostly. I'm not one to follow a recipe to the tee.  I often veer off the path those directions give me.  I think that I know better.  I will think my yogurt is getting too cold and I'll turn up the heat (only to have it on too long and kill my yogurt)... I'll use the palm of my hand as a measuring spoon, only to learn I'm not putting in enough sugar, salt or baking soda.  I'll put a loaf of bread in the oven to rise in a plastic bowl... only to learn that the oven is just warm enough to melt that cheap plastic bowl and ruin all my dough (Ok, I forgot it was in there and I turned on the oven to pre-heat it for some other thing I was baking) And so, I suffer the kinds of losses that come with being a bit of a goof-up.

I've made yogurt before with lots of successes and failures scattered here and there.  We mostly only buy plain yogurt since most of the rest of the flavored stuff is chalked full of fillers like gelatin, sugar, fake sugar, and fake fruit, not to mention all the chemical additives that I both can't pronounce or spell. I usually stand in the yogurt isle at the grocery store looking at labels FOREVER.  What I look for is a full fat, not sweetened with sugar or fake sugar yogurt.  There are very few out there that I have found that are good.  Yogurt sweetened with natural fruit juices and honey, like Lil'Ones and Nature's Treat, both by Dairyland boast that they have:
  • No added sugar or fructose
  • Sweetened with fruit juice
  • No artificial sweeteners
  • No artificial flavours
  • No artificial colours
  • No gelatin
  • Has lots of real fruit pieces
On the other hand,  those Yoplait tubes.... GARBAGE.... I mean get some plain yogurt, taste it and then taste what ever it is in those tubes.  You can't get any more yogurt-less than that. Blech.

  Yogurt and cheese made traditional ways are actually tolerable to people who are lactose intolerant. High fat contents, yogurt bacteria, and the cheese fermentation process, contain lactase enzymes that actually consume lactose in cheeses and yogurt that are traditionally made.  Modern brands on the store shelves however add lactose back into their yogurts by adding milk solids or don't even reduce the lactose since they are not even made with actual bacteria... let's call them 'yogurt-like substances'.  Gelatin is used as a thickener in those cases.  Many of the yogurt and cheeses on the shelves in our stores are very high in lactose. 

It IS actually quite easy to make.... my kids eat yogurt like it's ice-cream and it gets expensive. Since it's soooo easy to make (from what I remember) I'm going to use a different recipe and try it a second time with some raw milk. I'm going to follow the directions and RESIST THE URGE TO SECOND GUESS IT. I'm going to use the light in my oven instead of a crock pot this time.

Yogurt takes a little bit of time to make. Not actual working time but time for it to sit and culture.  
If the temperature of your yogurt gets to high or to low then it will kill the culture. DON'T I KNOW IT. So it is important that during the incubation period that the temperature stays between 90 and 110 degrees.

Homemade Yogurt (modified by Kristi... woops. I did. I messed with this recipe. I said I wouldn't and I did. We'll see how it turns out. Good Grief.)  See the original recipe post here


by Crystal Miller

- 8 cups milk
- 1/3 cup powdered milk (this is optional but will make a thicker yogurt)
- 1/2 cup starter yogurt
Before you begin wash 2 quart-sized canning jars.  Have the lids ready to cover the jars when you are done.
Pour your milk into a large cooking pot. Heat the milk up to 185 degrees.

Allow the milk to cool down to 110 degrees. The cooling can take a long time. If you want to speed the process up fill your sink with cold water and place the pot of hot milk in the water and stir and stir. The temperature drops fairly quickly this way, so make sure to have your thermometer handy to keep checking.
 Whisk your starter yogurt with a cup of warm milk to get the lumps out before you add it to the pot.

After you reach 110 degrees add the starter mixture and stir until everything is dissolved very well.

Pour this mixture into your ready and waiting jars. Put the lids on and put them into what ever place you are planning to incubate and culture them.


I put mine into the oven to incubate covered in a towel. I heated the oven to 150 degrees and then turned it off and let it cool a bit.  I wrapped up my jars in a towel and put them in the oven... and I am to leave them for 10 to 12 hours; trying not to disturb the jars to much.  OK... THIS IS MY PROBLEM... I just want to babysit them too much.  Is the temperature right.... how are they doing? Is it thickening?  I HAVE TO KNOW THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS.... grr.  I am 3 hours in to this process as I type and I have to RESIST my very 'curious, goof-up, what the Vegt?' nature and leave it well enough ALONE!  

Like... I so badly want to post the next picture in this series, but it's still HOURS away.... hours. Killing me. I need to leave the house!!!!

And, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking... "Given your track record, Kristi, it's probably a bad, BAD idea to put a towel in your oven.... you will have a fire for sure. Please, please do not make this a habit."

Duly noted.


Stay tuned for the results.  If I don't post them by this time tomorrow, would someone please phone the fire department. Please?

9 comments:

  1. Bahahaha! I hope this turns out so that I can try doing the same thing in my oven. I was doing yogurt in a bar fridge (not turned on) with a bowl of hot water to keep the temp just right but then I would forget to warm up the water after a few hours and... well... I get 'what the vegt' yogurt here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um I was rising sour dough pancakes in the oven and preheated it for baking cookies and cooked my sourdough into my tupperware bowl...yeah not good. Then the next day I was storing a cake covered in a towel in the oven because I was sick of it being on the counter and preheated the oven for baking potatoes. I only realized when I could smell hot cloth. I was seconds away from a oven fire too..sheesh be careful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I think with the powdered milk in there, it's like adding "milk solids"... which then adds more lactose... which is not a problem for the members of my family, but if you try this recipe and are wanting to avoid lactose skip the milk powder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LACTOSE CONTENT OF DAIRY PRODUCTS
    butter 0.5%
    cheese, cottage cheese 2-4%
    goat's milk 4.3%
    cow's milk 4.9%
    commercial yoghurt and ice-cream (with skim-milk powder) 5-25%
    skim-milk powder 52%
    whey powder 70%

    With a lactose content of 52 per cent in skim-milk powder, you may now realise how dangerous the current fad is for using low-fat ice-cream, yoghurt, cottage cheese and so forth, instead of full-fat products. Such low-fat foods are made from skim-milk powder and contain three to five times as much lactose as the equivalent full-fat foods. Sometimes skim-milk powder is even added to butter. Therefore read the label and avoid butter that lists 'non-fat milk solids' as one of the ingredients.

    FROM: http://health.centreforce.com/health/lactose.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued. Despite my desire to constantly find local and scratch made products, I have never once considered making my own yogurt. Did you do anything special to the canning jars beyond cleaning them (like sterilization)?

    We eat ungodly amounts of honey sweetened Balkan style yogurt, because I HATE the pudding-y crap that people call yogurt AND artificial sweeteners make me cringe. I will have to give it a try later this week. I would love to cut out the store if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sourpuss... I just re-wash them in my dishwasher just before making the yogurt. Have you tried Krema by Olympic? 11%MF!! Greek Style. Oh My Word. We'll see how this stacks up. When I was in my yogurt making glory, I remember eating it fresh. warm.... and almost DYING it was sooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Krema... but 11% agh! I'm still trying to lose weight, can I really eat that? Oh, and try setting an alarm on your phone or something for remembering your yogurt. And put a sticky note or something beside the oven dials to remind you not to turn it on to make something else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @craft:
    How much yogurt would you really eat though.... go for the good stuff and skip the sugar and portion control?
    I don't know. Good food is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @craft: and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tips.

    ReplyDelete