Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sprouted Whole Grain Bread

After I made my first batch of butter I was left with the liquid I've been assured is indeed buttermilk.  The only thing I was sure I could use it for was to make bread.  I let it sit on the counter so that it would warm to room temperature, and I set out to find a Whole Grain Bread Recipe that used buttermilk.

This week I made a visit to Anita's Organic Grain and Flour Mill in a tiny little hamlet called Greendale, 10 minutes from Chilliwack.  I picked up some stone-gound Sprouted Whole Grain Flour and some stone-ground Organic Kamut Flour (which I pronounced wrong the entire time I was in the store).  My intention is to add a bit of it to the bread that I make.  I've been making about half the bread we consume since Christmas and I hope if I can get the hang of it that I'll be making all of it.  I won't put that kind of pressure on myself just yet, but that's the goal.  My bread consists of mainly 4 or 5 natural ingredients.... and since I've been avoiding processed foods and especially anything with corn or soy in them, I am finding that making my own bread is more than worth it.  The Sprouted Grain and Kamut flours (among a host of other natural, unprocessed, heritage flours) are higher in fibre and nutrients and overall are just so much healthier for our bodies.

Thank-ful for my days cooking for a bunch of wild tree-planters.... where if I wasn't good at baking bread, I sure practiced.


Buttermilk Whole Wheat Bread from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
makes 1 9"x5" or 2 8.5"x4.5" loaves
Ingredients
 2 teaspoons instant yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105-115F)
1-1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature 
1/4 c oil
1-1/2 cups white flour, approximately
3 cups whole wheat flour, (I used stone-ground sprouted)
2 tablespoons brown sugar or molasses [I used molasses]
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt which I forgot to add :(
Step 1 - In a large mixing bowl sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and stir briefly to dissolve. Set aside while allowing the buttermilk to reach room temperature.
Step 2 - When at room temperature, pour the buttermilk, bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, oil, brown sugar or molasses, baking powder, and salt into the yeast mixture. Blend at low speed (LOW people... I turned mine to the '2' and had flour spurt up all over my kitchen and newly washed dishes... like I want to wash them TWICE. argh!)

 in a mixer until the flour and the dry ingredients are absorbed. With the bread hook stir in the remaining whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and, when it becomes thick, work with the fingers. Allow 4 to 5 minutes for the whole wheat flour to fully absorb the liquid before adding more flour. The dough will be slightly sticky and soft.  
Step 3 - Cover in oil and let rise in a warm place until double (1 hour at least)
Step 4 - Punch down and shape into loaves, tucking the ends in. I always use parchment paper.... there's no hassel getting the loaves out of the pan that way. Let rise another hour. For a really beautiful crust, brush on a beaten egg.
Step 5 - Preheat oven to 425F 20 minutes before baking.

Step 6 - Bake the loaf or loaves in the oven until they are golden brown and loose in the pans, about 30-35 minutes.  The loaves are baked if the sound is hard and hollow when thumped on the bottom crust.  
Step 7 - Remove loaves from the oven and place on wire racks to cool.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to go to Anita's for months (or years?!) and still haven't! I need to get over my fear of going to new places and just go. There, I said it. Now I have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are inspiring me, Kristy. Thank you! I cook everything from scratch as well but I've been wanting to do more lately. I've been too lazy to source things like a mill for better flours/grains (not to mention carving out more time to make more things!) but you are making me want to. My kids can't eat wheat so I've been buying them organic, locally made Kamut bread but at $6 a loaf, it's rather pricy. I'm going to find me some kamut flour & perfect a recipe. My daily bread baking out planting will also come in handy ;)

    ReplyDelete