Saturday, May 7, 2011

I can't believe it's BUTTER!

Just made my own butter.  WHAT THE VEGT?! I HAVE HAD A SUCCESS!


You can see the cream separated from the milk. I've already skimmed off more than half the cream.

Getting ready to whip in my Kitchen Aid

Skimming

Whipping.

Getting Thicker.

Whip Cream.

Even thicker.

I added salt at this stage.  I probably should have waited and just added it to the butter.... because what happened next surprised me. (Rookie that I am)
The Butter is separating from what I'm guessing is Buttermilk.

LOOK AT IT! I ACTUALLY DID IT!!!

draining the buttermilk from the butter

Now I have salty butter milk and salted butter.  

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!
I just made butter!

3 comments:

  1. You can add an extra step or two to keep it from going bad as fast!
    1) wash it really well
    2)dab up all the extra water. That is the time consuming part!
    http://www.petitekitchenesse.com/2010/11/20/homemade-butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I was going just say the same thing Marie :) Great minds think alike!

    I was re-inspired and made a batch of butter myself as I just bought 8 litres of jersey milk mmmmmm, with fresh bread mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah, I read you can hang it in a cheesecloth or something for a bit to get the extra moisture out after you wash it well and it will stay good longer.

    ReplyDelete