Saturday, May 28, 2011

Shake and Bake (FYI: I'm not talking about meth)

What's in a box of Shake and Bake?

Who knew that when I looked it up, I would find the ingredients list for methamphetamine. Clearly not me.

Wikipedia's page on Shake n'Bake lists the ingredients as the following.

Original flavor Shake and Bake includes: enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate Vitamin B1, riboflavin , folic acid), salt, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, sugar, contains less than 2% of paprika, dextrose, dried onions, spice, caramel color, yeast, annatto (color), and natural flavor.
Barbecue flavor Shake 'n Bake includes sugar, maltodextrin, salt, modified food starch, spice, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, brown sugar, mustard seed flour, dried onions, dried tomatoes, dried garlic, beet powder (color), citric acid, natural flavor, caramel color, vinegar, and sodium silicoaluminate as an anticaking agent.

Because I can't identify or pronounce the things in that list... because I'm trying to avoid soy (as a filler) and things like maltodextrin (click on the links to learn more about the products), and because Dave LOVES Shake and Bake.... Here's a quick easy alternative that is soooo yummy, none of the additives, easy to keep in your freezer and costs less...

2 cups dried bread crumbs, crushed crackers
1/2 c corn meal (to make it a little crunchy)
2Tbs Fry's Seasoning Salt
2Tbs parsley
2Tbs dried onion
1Tbs garlic powder
1tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1tsp rosemary
1tsp cumin

 (feel free to add other spices as your taste dictates... but this was a good mix)


 I used crackers, added the spices, then used my rolling pin to crush and mix it all together.
 Crush it to a fine powder.
 Beat an egg. I added 1/8 cup of milk and 1/8 cup of olive oil as well.

 Beat with a fork.  Dip your chicken or pork in the mixture. I used pork.

 Cover in the Shake mixture.

 Place on a pan (I put it on tinfoil so that I would not have to clean the pan later)

Bake at 350ยบ for about 45 minutes.
Served here with Green Beans & Roasted Potatoes (I poured the extra egg mixture on them with a shake of seasoning salt and re-baked them. They were left-overs from another meal in which they were steamed with beets which explains the pink tinge to them)  Yummy yum. You want this. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment