Monday, July 18, 2011

Making Quinoa Palatable

About 6 months ago I bought the Costco package of Quinoa... made it for dinner (in replace of rice).... no one liked it. Not even me.   There was something in the aftertaste that was bitter...  And so was I.  Bitter at the fact that this "superfood" was not so super.  Bitter that I had bought a large package and it wasn't being used.

Full of riboflavin, calcium, vitamin E, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, beta carotene it's one of the world's healthiest foods.  It's one of the top ten muscle building foods because of it's protein, amino acids and complex carbohydrates, providing energy and endurance to our bodies.  There is no gluten in quinoa making it a perfect food for those individuals who are vegan, vegetarian, gluten intolerant or have celiac disease, Crohn's, or colitis.  I WANT to LIKE this food!!!

In Port McNeill, there was a store going out of business.  It had gifts (I got a couple wub-a-nub stuffy pacifiers for 1/3 the cost I paid for Myelle's, which I meant to gift in the first place, but I couldn't find her plain pacifier one night and in desperation opened the package intended for a friend's baby) Irresistibly cute right?!

I digress.   In Port McNeill, in the store that was closing out, I found a book of like 200 Quinoa recipes.  Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood.  Score.  It looked sooooo good.  I could make this stuff taste great!!  Breakfast, lunch, supper and snack recipes.  Granola, waffles, loaves, casseroles, soups, cereals & desserts!! At closing out store prices, I couldn't lose! 

Here's my first simple attempt at making Quinoa palatable.

The Ultimate Qunioa Granola

2 1/2 cups large flake rolled oats
3/4 cup sliced almonds (original recipe says whole)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1/4 cup flaked  unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup walnut pieces (I used pecans)
1 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon (I didn't add)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup rasins

Mix the dry ingredients.
Mix the wet ingredients.
Combine dry and wet ingredients.
Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 225º for 1 hour. 
Cool.  Then toss in dried fruit.



Store in sealed container for up to 4 weeks in your cupboard.

Served over fresh yogurt.  YUMMY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Kristi my wife is going to be looking for the other 199 recipes - we've found out Kent is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, gluten, bananas and maybe one or two other things we're still figuring out - which means Joy cant eat any of that stuff either while breastfeeding - quinoa is showing up quite a bit here with mixed results. Evan and I have stuck with rice so far . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristi- try the chocolate cake recipe in that book. It's surprisingly really good! Also, little tip- rinse your quinoa really well before you cook it (in your rice maker to make it really easy) and it won't taste bitter. My friend Zoe posted a recipe for Greek quinoa salad recently that our entire family LOVES. My kids asked me to pack it for lunch the next day they liked it so much. Here's the link: http://www.nakednutritionista.com/2011/05/18/quinoa-the-oddball-superfood/

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my neighbors has a killer quinoa salad. If you want the recipe, let me know :) It's soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete