Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Almost Packed.

In so many ways I feel like I've been packing for this journey for a long time.  Without even knowing it I've been storing bits of information and growing enormous amounts of passion for a trip I now hope will start very soon.  Being a midwife almost seems like who I already am. Who I've been created to be. Who I've been preparing to be for such a long time.
In high-school, it was the one profession that I really desired, though knew I could not be and would not be qualified at the age of 19 to even be considered acceptance into a program, I dismissed it.  In the last 5 years since earning a Bachelors Degree, a Masters Degree, having a much loved career as an Outdoor Leadership Instructor, since birthing 4 of my own beautiful children and since reflecting again and again on what the next chapter of my life will be, I've mulled a few professions over in my mind.  A few of the thoughts that I've had in the last 5 years include the following:
If I could do it all again, I'd likely come out of high-school and tell myself to become a doctor.

I would absolutely love to become a fitness instructor.  Who wouldn't want to be paid to workout?

I really miss my old job, the students, particularly the young women who were a part of my life.

I think I should maybe pursue being a paramedic. I thrive in crises.

I researched each and every possible pregnancy scenario imaginable, and prepared myself for them all.

I'd love to have a catering company... or bake pies all day... especially on Mondays.

I want to be a landscaper/gardener.... but only on the sunny days. I've planted enough trees in the rain to really really... really hate it. (a rough estimate would be close to 500,000... ok maybe not all of them were in the rain.... but to be sure. I've planted enough effing trees.) umm. nevermind.

Let me hear your birthing story again.

I should be a counselor.  I love working with people one on one.

I'm going to be a personal trainer. I love working with people one on one.

I LOVE my midwives.   I wonder if I could be a midwife? Think of it, it's like a fitness instructor, counselor (I use the term incredibly loosely... to my counselor friends especially!), nutritionalist (again, loose), care giver, & coach.  I'd work with women one on one, giving physical & emotional support throughout pregnancy, delivery and after the birth of babies. It's like a mix of all of the above!!! kinda.  Ok, it has nothing to do with baking pies. But I'll still push those.

I met with my midwife Kim Campbell who owns and operates Valley Midwifery in Abbotsford. She is also an instructor in the Midwifery program at UBC... I didn't actually ask her, but maybe she can influence the decision to get me accepted!?  She sat down with me over coffee for a good 2 hours.  She inspired me, prepped me and encouraged me to pursue becoming a midwife.  I couldn't think of something I want to do more.... of something that fits me better.  I figure if she thought I wasn't a fit at all, she wouldn't have completely wasted her afternoon with me.  Dave is more than incredibly supportive as well.   In many ways, my bags are about packed, I'm ready to step out, take doula courses, get my transcripts in, volunteer at some births, and start this journey of becoming a midwife. I expect I will have to apply for a few years, refine & add experiences to my curriculum vitae a number of times before I actually get in.  Competition is fierce.  10 applicants (of 250+) a year make it.... but then, if I were to compete against my 19 year old self, I'd shamelessly kick my own ass.  Here's to packing up some more stuff so that I can get one of those spots.

I won't Jack, I won't... Seems like my life-long motto as well.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I haven't commented on this. Maybe I did on Facebook- You are amazing for pursuing this dream! I have been interested in the progress of it all when you first announced going to school for midwifery.
    You probably don't have time now, but you should really try and keep this blog up and post about your experiences doing what you love with the family that you love. Who knows, you could start the tiny little smouldering spark inside of me (well, I know you have for me) and others to be inspired and find their purpose!!

    ReplyDelete