Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quinoa Cucumber Mint Salad

I made quinoa this morning for breakfast... slipped it into the kid's oatmeal... so sneaky, I know.... they were none the wiser. shh.

I made quite a bit though, so when trying to think up an alternative to potatoes/pasta/rice for dinner tonight I thought I would be able to find a quinoa salad that everyone would like...
I found THE perfect recipe in my book... and THE perfect Dave Vegt bowl to serve it in....
1 English Cucumber
1 red onion (but I had to use white)
1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup fresh mint (chopped)
 1 cup quinoa cooked and cooled (so... turns out to be about 2 cups once cooked) Don't forget to rinse! (thanks for that tip ladies...)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 tsp lemon juice ( I added a splash of lime juice)
1 tsp fresh garlic (or to taste... b/c of the kids I added less)
1/4 tsp salt
a few grinds of your pepper mill

The recipe didn't call for it, but I started making a different quinoa salad that called for toasted almond slices... but I didn't have a few of the rest of the ingredients, sooooo.... I switched to this recipe, but still had the almonds I just toasted, so I added them right in too... glad I did.... it added the colour that the red onion was supposed to...(not to mention the YUMMY crunch).



I'm still wondering if the kids will like it, but it's what I'm serving.

VERDICT:  so so SO yummy.  Dave Loved it, the baby gobbled it up (she'd eat worms if I fed them to her in a bowl with a spoon and let her do it herself...autonomy, independence, determination, tenacity... love that intense girl).... the other kids had to be prodded to eat it at first, but eventually decided they liked it and ate the whole thing without complaining again... that or my threats to add another spoonful to their plates if they decided to complain about it again, really did shut them up... not sure.   Regardless,  there's none left for my lunch tomorrow... and I'm a little upset about that.

Try it. You'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED it!!! Thanks Kristi for experimenting with quinoa for me. I want to love it too and you are definitely helping with that.

    ReplyDelete